Inside St Giles Church. Photograph by Hampton Gay Story Oxfordshire Copyright 2010
St Giles church sits very quietly close to the River Cherwell surrounded by fields and trees. The only noise that can be heard is the occasional train passing by on the Oxford to Banbury railway line, which lies only a few metres away.
Tithe records show Hampton Gay had a medieval church by 1074.
We have found reference to a fire at the first Church (Medieval Church), on April the 20th 1671.
St Giles church was rebuilt on the grounds of the older church in 1767 to 1772 by Revd Thomas Hindes, a member of the family who once owned the HG manor house.
In 1842 J H Parker ( Antiquarian ) dismissed the church as very poor Georgian architecture saying "a very bad specimen of the meeting house style''
Curate Rev. F.C. Hingeston did some alterations to the church in 1859-60 replacing the Georgian windows with Gothic style ones, he also altered the south door opening to a Norman style door.
The church contains quite a number of monuments which are dedicated to the Barry family and the Hindes family
''The barrel organ at Hampton Gay St Giles church is visually deceptive as the case is made to appear twice its real width by the addition of extra wings or panels. It is a Bryceson barrel organ.'' (From barrel organ: The story of the mechanical organ and its repair by Arthur W. J.G Ord-Hume 1978)
The church is still used and generally there are about eight services a year. There is no lighting or heating in the church, so on dark nights candles are used which gives the church a lovely atmosphere.